Pentax has released a new model to its Papilio series of binoculars the Pentax 62216 Papilio 8.5×21. The new Pentax 62216 Papilio boast a 8.5 magnification compared to 6.5 found in the Pentax 62215. The Papilio binoculars are designed for close up observation of insects, birds, artwork or anything at close range. However, these binoculars are also a great choice for more conventional uses such as viewing sporting events or taking with you on hiking and backpacking trips.
It shares the design element of other “reverse porro” binoculars from Pentax and has the trait of a dual-axis interpupillary adjustment mechanism. The enhanced observation ease of the Papilio binoculars is created possible by a PENTAX Convergent Lens Optical System Engineering (CLOSE) mechanism. The CLOSE mechanism is designed such that it can automatically slide with ease from right to left and back.
The Papilio features multi-coated optical elements to reduce reflections and improve image quality. In addition it also features a tough, rubber covered exterior that gives you a secure grip and protects the internal components.
It has a unique futuristic design and comes with a eyepiece lens caps, case and neck strap.
Pentax 62216 Papilio 8.5×21 Porro Prism Binoculars Features
- High-quality BaK4 prisms for maximum illumination in low light
- 6.0° Angle of View
- Extreme Close Focusing Capacity
- Ideally suited for viewing insects, birds, artwork or any other object at close ranges
- Convergent Lens Optical System Engineering (C.L.O.S.E) allows them to focus down to 1.6 feet
- Revolutionary dual-axis
- Single body housing with synchronized eye-piece adjustment to assure correct optical alignment
- Helicoid eyepiece rings for extra viewing comfort
- Fully multi-coated optics reduce glare and harmful UV rays
- Tough rubber housing provides a sure grip and provides shock resistance
Pentax 62216 Papilio 8.5×21 Porro Prism Binoculars Specifications
- Prism Type : Porro Prism
- Magnification: 8.5x
- Objective Lens: 21mm, 2 elements in 1 group
- Eyepiece Lens: 5 elements in 5 groups
- Real Field Of View: 6.0 degrees
- Apparent Field Of View: 51 degrees
- Field Of View At 1000 Yards: 3915 ft
- Field Of View At 1000 Meters: 105
- Exit Pupil Diameter: 2.5mm
- Eye Relief: 15 mm
- Relative Brightness: 6.3
- Diopter Adjustment Range: +/- 4 m -1
- Diopter Adjustment : Click-stop adjuster built in right eyepiece
- Eye Distance Adjustment Range: 56mm-74mm (2.2″ – 2.9″)
- Focus Type: Center
- Focusing Range: Approx. 0.5m (1.6 ft. ) to infinity
- Eyepiece Ring: Helicoid type
- Body Color: Black & dark gray
- Tripod Mount : Yes
- Product Dimensions: 4.5 x 4.3 x 2.2 inches
- >Product Weight: 10.2 ounces
Pentax 62216 Papilio 8.5×21 Porro Prism Binoculars Customer Reviews
The reviews for the Pentax 62216 Papilio are outstanding. When researching these binoculars we found 58 reviews online and the average user rating is 4.9 stars. We did not find one negative review anywhere online and the lowest rating that we did find was 4 stars.
All of the reviewers agree that the Pentax binoculars is of superb quality. These binoculars are small and lightweight but feature solid construction and offer superb image quality. A number of reviewers commented on how bright these binoculars are considering the small objective lens size.
A lot of the reviews come from people that are using the Pentax 62216 Papilio for bird watching and observing insects. One person says that “the close focus feature will blow your mind!” He says that he is amazed at his ability to study insects up close with these binoculars and also says “if I could only own one pair of binoculars these would be it”.
One reviewer said that they were hesitant to buy the Pentax binoculars because they’ve seen many budget binoculars with a small aperture that were not worth the low price but he was very pleased with these. He said that he took these binoculars on a trip to Costa Rica and they gave good views of distant birds and “unbelievable views of insects and snakes”.
The reviews for the Pentax 62216 Papilio 8.5×21 Porro Prism Binoculars are as close to perfect as you’re going to get with a 4.9 star rating. With all of the positive reviews online for these binoculars giving this pair our recommendation is a no-brainer.
Where to buy the Pentax 62216 Papilio 8.5×21 Porro Prism Binoculars
You can buy the Pentax 62216 Papilio from many big retailers offline or online like Amazon, TigerDirect, BestBuy, Macy’s, Kohl’s, Target, Walmart etc. But which one is the best deal? We have done work for you. We found Amazon.com to have the best prices on most binoculars including the Papilio. The best way to decide if this is a good binoculars or not is to visit the Amazon page and look at all the reviews and the manufacturers description. It is the best place to study the binoculars because of the huge community at Amazon that reviews its purchases. Click on the links below to visit the product website for additional information and special offers.
Pentax 62216 Papilio 8.5×21 Porro Prism Binoculars